Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Little People are Breaking My Heart

The past couple weeks the placement coordinator has informed us of a number of children that need homes.  One we said no to and the others we said yes to.  The brief information that we get about some of these kids breaks our hearts. But they went to other homes.  It has been a roller coaster.

This week we are enjoying having a baby in the house!  We are doing respite for a week.  Respite is when you watch a foster child who lives in another foster home.  The foster family is going on vacation and they can't take her with them.  T is 1.5 years old and currently sick.  This is why Little People are Breaking My Heart.  She gets sick a lot.  But she seemed fine when we got her on Monday.  She was really fine all Monday and most of Tuesday.  I thought it was actually kind of strange how fine she was.  She is in a strange home with people she has never met and she walks around like it doesn't even phase her.  I'm not gonna lie, that does make my job easier.  She isn't hysterically crying for her mom.  Just go with the flow.  Makes things easy.  But last night she finally started whimpering, "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy."  It made me feel a bit better.  She does have connections and bonds and attachments.  That is important for her development.
Today she woke up sick.  Not wanting to eat.  Strange, since she has been eating everything I offered her since she walked through the door.  But today there was some crying and some throw up.  It continued on and off through the day.  She had a visit with her Dad and apparently she cried for an hour and a half and more throw up.  When she got home I spent a lot of time cuddling with her, letting her listen to my heart beat, trying to help her feel as much love as possible.  With no medical training my cure for ailments is food and love.  In my mind it is the stress from being in a strange home, away from her foster family, that has caused her to get sick.  So if I can help her stress to go down then her little body can heal.  Like I said, I'm not a doctor.  But it was nice that we didn't have anything to do tonight so we could just chill. 
She liked to have M hold her sippy cup for her.  She has a cast on her right arm so it's tricky to         hold with one little hand.  M is loving his roll as big brother. She just smiles at M and hands him her cup.  But she won't let O help her. 

1 comment: