Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Knot in my Stomach

I had a knot in my stomach for a week and a half.  It finally burst into tiny little pieces and traveled through my body poking at every nerve and muscle.  It gnawed at my skin and finally found a nice resting place right in my throat.  Thank goodness for sleep, perspective, humor, and love.
Two new rules I am trying to live by:
1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
2. Everything is small.

Progress Report:
I think that R and B are feeling more settled, safe, and trusting.  I measure how safe R feels by the intensity of his tantrums.  We had some ragers in the first week.  There is so much fear, terror, and confusion in his scream.  When I have to remove him from a situation he has no idea what's going to happen to him.  All he has to go on is his previous life experiences, which I don't know anything about.  But each time he has a "fit" and I sit there and watch, calm on the outside, mind racing on the inside; he learns. And trust is built.  Every fit ends with a hug. 
It has been almost a week since a face melting break down.  I would say they are down to tantrum size fits and almost developmentally appropriate for his age.  But then you want to throw in Easter with it's candy filled plastic eggs and cousins by the dozen?  And I have no idea how he is going to react.  That is why I have Jake.  He reminds me that this is small stuff.  We can't keep him in a bubble his whole life.  Don't worry so much. 

When B is hungry or tired look out... she turns on what I call, BEAST MODE!  Maybe we should start throwing Skittles at her when she gets cranky! 





 
 

                                            




 

 
 

                                                      

 




 

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment